- BROWNIE BASE:
- 200g of good quality dark chocolate, chopped – I used Lindt 70% cocoa
- 200g of unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of plain flour, sifted
- CHEESECAKE TOPPING:
- 150g of caster sugar
- 400g of cream cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract (or to taste)
- Green food colouring
- COOKIE TOMBSTONES:
- 185g butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1/3 cup of good quality cocoa
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (340 Fahrenheit) and grease and line a 20cm x 30cm pan and line with baking paper.
- Place the chocolate into a microwave proof jug and microwave in 20 second bursts until just melted. Stir until the remaining chocolate melts and set aside to cool.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar until pale and thick.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and then fold through the sifted flour.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a separate mixing bowl, prepare the cheesecake topping. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, peppermint extract and eggs until smooth. Add the green food colouring until you reach your desired level of green.
- Spread the cheesecake topping over the brownie base and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- To make the cookie tombstones, preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius (340 Fahrenheit) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until combined before sifting in the flour and cocoa.
- Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured bench and roll out to your desired thickness.
- Use a tombstone shaped cookie cutter cut out the cookies or cut them freehand, as I did.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes. Place onto a baking wrack to cool.
- To assemble the tombstones attach the cookies to the back of the brownies using a little melted chocolate.
Once cooled, place in the refrigerator to set before cutting into rectangles.